Monday, October 24, 2011

Treasure Chest Cake

Well... it's been a while! But I got a request for a treasure chest cake and thought I'd take a 2nd stab at making cakes with 3 little kids. And I must say, it's still a little crazy. But I had fun making this cake and trying new things. My neighbor makes AMAZING cakes and uses modeling chocolate (which I had never even heard of before) and I decided to try it out. I LOVE it! It's pretty easy to work with and tastes way better than marshmallow fondant. The chocolate flavor reminds me of tootsie rolls. Yum!




Obviously it's been a while since I've made a cake and I think my skills are a little rusty. There are a few spots on the cake that turned out way below par, but I think overall it turned out pretty good. 

This cake took me a while to make... I worked on it Saturday afternoon (baking and crumb coating, then freezing overnight), Sunday night (frosting, covering with chocolate), and Monday night (finishing touches and assembling). It's 3 layers (two for the base and one for the lid) of white cake with a rich chocolate frosting covered in the modeling chocolate. And it weighs a ton!



Coming up next month: My kids' birthdays! I'm thinking a John Deere logo cake for Toren and a Hello Kitty  cake for Ayda. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like sooo much work but it looks amazing! I've never heard of the modeling chocolate but it sounds yummy. I'll have to try it some time. I still can't believe you have 3 kiddos. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rusty? Below par? It looks amazing!! Seriously.

    ReplyDelete